Friday, September 28, 2012

Guess who rolled into town?

My husband!

He drove roughly 700 miles per day...
starting out on Wednesday morning...
and racing across the country until Saturday...
when he arrived in New Jersey to visit his Grandma.
He took a breather to visit with her...
as Grandpa passed on to heaven recently
and he had been unable to go to the funeral because of work
:: so sad ::
On Monday morning he took off again...
for Greer, South Carolina
560 miles away
NO PROBLEM!
An "easy" day he claimed!

Well, the kids were doing homework,
and I was loading the dishwasher
when...
a knock came at the door.

Emmaline and I paused.

Then I opened the door to see my husband standing there.

It felt shocking and strange to finally see him...

And then we were hugging...
and he was hugging Emmaline.
And then we called for Rob...
and he came out and hugged his Dad.

FINALLY HOME.

After an hour, we turned around and 
I drove
* ahem *
Bob and I to the Academy
for the Parent's Night.

He followed Rob's schedule of his day...
while I followed Emmaline's schedule of her day...
meeting their teachers and getting an up close view of their daily life at school.

What did we find out?
We were amazed.
Teachers that love to teach.
Crazy!
Teachers that love God and their students.
They care.
They gave us their cell phone numbers and email addresses.
Our kids are in a great place.

For "Lunch" time, we gobbled down goodies provided by the Foods classes...
my son's class included!
(Laura and I tried to be polite--she sent ME back to table!)
* I'm the good friend...ha!! *

A former classmate of ours from college (!yes!)
asked about Bob...
what fun it was to tell him that Bob had just gotten home!
They got a chance to catch up for a few minutes during "lunch."

Then...I remembered that there was a certain SOMEONE on campus...
who hadn't seen her Daddy yet...
who had begged...
yes!
begged...
to have her Daddy surprise her after one of her classes...
and didn't know he was home yet.

So, I texted her....


Oooooohhhhhh....
I've got an idea!

 
(Her dorm's name is "Nell Sunday")

I WAS outside by myself...
Bob was still inside the building.
Really.
I was by myself.
Right.
Then.

He joined up with me...
and we strolled over to the girl's dorms.
Bob hid himself across the street in the shadows...
trying not to alarm any girls walking by...


So, Rose came strolling out and 
JUMPED! 
into my arms!

It's always so loverly to hug that child!
I kept her in that hug...
telling her how much I love her...
when we heard...
footsteps
come up the sidewalk...

She looked up...
(were we in the way of someone trying to get into the dorm perhaps?)
SAW her Daddy...
I let go...
and let it sink in...
then
She SCREAMED!!!!!
AND LEPT INTO HIS ARMS!!!!
It was soooo awesome....
soooo wonderful....
heartfelt...
sweet....
we were all in tears...
MY ARM WAS STUCK IN THEIR HUG!!
Ah...guys?  
Need the ol' arm...
herrow?
Then,
we were all hugging and cheering!!

She needed to go back and study for her Greek test...
Poor Bob was a bit tired...
so we said our good bye's 
she went back to studying...
with a lighter, happier heart...
and we walked back to our car...
thrilled to have surprised her 
AFTER ALL.

::  SIGH HAPPILY ::

SO,
that's where I've been.

We are all together again.

BIG SMILE !!


ps...just bragging here...that silly girl got a 93% on her first Greek test! Woot!!



No comments: