Thursday, March 29, 2012

Organizing! Family Room DVD's

Welcome back to
Red Star Roost!

So many things are getting accomplished around here.
You may look at all of this and wonder...

Question:  What does all of this organizing achieve?
Answer:  A Home.

{The opposite of a house.}

A home is a place where family and friends feel welcome.
The rooms are filled with warm and personal comforts,
with everything having its place...
Hot, delicious dinners are served at the table with the family gathered around...
where happy children and parents are comfortable to be creative
in their thinking and their doing...
a positive, loving, forgiving place
where memories and lives are built.


Besides...who ever heard of a haunted home?
It's always a 
haunted house! ;)


With a happy home in mind...
I have tried several times in the past to keep our VHS,
and now, DVD
collections in an organized fashion.

About 5 years ago, I came up with this:

Individual cases:

an individual case for each type of movie:

Animation
Live Action
Christmas
etc.




It was a GREAT idea!
As long as...
EVERYONE
COOPERATED
and put their disk away when they were done with it.
Ahem.
But SOME people always seemed to forget about putting their disk away.
So I would find disks placed or tossed every which way...
it was impossible to figure out where a disk might be located as well...
or a certain one might be discovered in the car, 
or mangled in with paperwork...
or just tucked into the wrong pocket...
and I'm a stickler for arranging all the disks in alphabetical order.

As you can imagine...
this arrangement has
slowly.
driven.
me.
nuts.

So, with our family's DVD collection growing,
things were getting a bit out of control...
so this is my latest solution:

Each disk gets its own sleeve.

Each sleeve is labelled.




Biskit comes around to inspect my progress...


A pile of random disks...


Next, each disk will be "filed" into a box....



I made dividers with 4X6 cards and the label maker...


 

Next, I cut off about 1/4 of an inch from the bottom of the dividers...
this is so they wouldn't bend in the drawer when I closed it...


And now for the finished product!

Open the drawer please!

PERHAPS A LITTLE BIT MORE....EH?


So now each movie is in it's own labelled sleeve,
filed under what type of movie it is...

I guess it's still filing...
but easier because there isn't the flipping of pages...
and now we will know which movie is missing...because of the labelled sleeve!



Yes, I left some collections in their pretty boxes...

The 3-D glasses are behind the "I Love Lucy" collection...
next to a DVD binder of Christmas DVD's...


I bundled up the extra, unused sleeves and put them on top of the 3D glasses.


I will tell you more about the 
DVD's in the pretty cases,
the Christmas DVD's
AND 
THE LIST of DVD's...
the next time I'm here...
tomorrow!!??

So there is way, way more to see here!

Oh!  This is exciting!  

It will be soooo much easier to find the DVD that you want to see!








"Happiness lies in the 

joy

of achievement

and

the thrill

of

 creative effort." 


-Franklin Roosevelt 

No comments: