Monday, March 26, 2012

Organizing! The kitchen cupboards...find out what happens when you label...


Woot!!
You came back!!
Thank you!

I've been working on something special...something my husband likes to call a "is that really necessary?" project. ;p

Yep!  It's one of them thangs!



Look at these pretty papers!
These scrapbook papers are from Echo Park's Country Drive collection (just in case you REALLY like them!).


The flowers are one side...
and the green zig zag is the other...
happy prints!




Look below at this kitchen cupboard:

This cupboard needs something...

LABELS!

When I'm organizing and cleaning an area in my home, 
the best part is...
thinking up pretty and clever things to make it nice.


So while I sorted, scrubbed and organized...
my mind kept going back to those pretty, happy papers...
and how they would brighten up that cupboard...
it dearly needed labels on its containers.
And...
pretty labels...
just make my world go 'round!

First, I cut out some curvy squares using a 2 1/4" punch.



Next, I opened up my Word software and used it's 'shapes' feature
to make 2" circles...
knowing that I have a 2" circle punch....

I thought of having a white background with a colorful font...
I thought of having a colorful background (say...light green or something)...
but the papers are so beautiful on their own...
that those ideas would detract from them.  

So....that's my explanation for the somber grey circles 
with the white lettering...
I didn't want to detract from the vibrant papers...
and yet I needed something dark enough so 
the words would not get lost in all of the busy patterns
and
a person could read the words...
(the purpose)

I used a text box to center my wording onto the grey circles....
Printed it out onto stiff paper
(for substance...but if you don't have any...I'm sure it will be just fine)
and then punched them out using my 2" circle punch
Next, I took my glue stick and lightly glued the circles onto the squares. 
This step is necessary even if you are going to put these through a laminator...
you don't want anything to slide apart.

Then, I ran them all through the laminator machine.  
My laminator is soooo much fun!

* * * * *
Why use a laminator?
Well, kitchen items often get dirty and need to be wiped down...
when paper gets sticky or wet...it's all over...
all that nice work will be ruined.
If you don't have a laminator...
there are items out on the market to laminate without a machine...
* * * * *

Next, I cut the squares out from the plastic...
I tried to round the corners to make them look finished.
Pulled out my adhesive Velcro circles... {I had never used velcro on my labels before...but I learned to use this cool trick from  I Heart Organizing! That Jen is so clever!}

and put the fuzzy part on the backs of the squares.

and the stiff side onto the plastic bin...


Matched them up to the appropriate bin....
and then stuck them on...


If I decide to change things around,
it will be so easy to pull off the label and replace it with another one.









By the way, these containers were from the Dollar Store.
They are not the most attractive or decorative bins I could have used...
But for now, they are see through, practical and very sturdy.

I kept the lids to them in a special storage spot in my kitchen.

Look who was cheering me on!
(It looks like Emmaline got a hold of my camera...)



The colors are bright and pretty-just poor picture quality here..




Oh dear...the poor oat flour...
It doesn't have a glass canister like all the other flours...
BUT
That's the problem with living in paradise...
it's far away from any decent stores. :)


Well, just so you know...
I went to the world's smallest Fred Meyer...
it's here, in our town...
but no more glass canisters (in that size) were to be had.
That was 2 weeks ago...
so I check on it every time I go in there
but...
still no more glass containers.
Next week I'm driving 45 minutes to a bigger town...

It has Costco, Target, Wal Mart, Kmart, etc....
I'm sure I can find the ONE glass container that I need...

Then, it was just putting it all into place...

The top shelf has all of the cake decorating supplies and books...


The next shelf down...




one...


two...
three...

four... 

five!!
The next row...



All done!

Other cupboards needed labels as well...

Such pretty labels!


Awesome Job!!

 The peanut gallery erupts into boisterous cheers!

Those cupboards are now a spot of joy in my kitchen!
Whenever I open them up...
it seems a little rainbow...
with tea cup unicorns and pink glowing butterflies... 
hops out 
and onto my countenance...
Come on!
You need to do something special for yourself in your kitchen!





















 


  

No comments: